"Fantastic experience of gynaecology surgery and..."

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I have had the most excellent experience of pelvic floor surgery under my wonderful Consultant and her team, also superb treatment from anaesthesia team. After advice I opted for spinal block rather than general anaesthetic which was a decision I was so pleased I was supported to make as it speeded my recovery enormously. It meant I was awake and chatting to staff during the 2 hour op and they were so warm and caring as well as incredibly able. After the surgery and a brief spell in recovery where I had one to one careI was taken to Branston ward. I stayed in Branston for 2 days and all the staff, from cleaners to orderlies and nursing staff were so kind and helpful. It was clear the nursing team on the ward were under resourced. ( on my first night in my 4 bed ward, 2 patients were sick after surgery, one was demanding and I needed regular checks and pain relief- staff were rushed off their feet but they managed to treat us all with respect and meet our needs. I hope they manage to continue to operate in this way in such challenging circumstances. The 4 bed room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable with a great view. The bathrooms were clean too but suffering from neglect- no towel hooks, broken shower heads etc. indeed if there is a criticism it is that the building and decor seem tired and badly in need of a refresh but the staff make up for it. The Consultant came to see me on the second day and explained everything she had done and what I needed to do on discharge- she is an extraordinary consultant and I feel fortunate to have had her help. . All in all I feel I have had excellent treatment and would gladly recommend it

I hope you are continuing to make a good recovery; thank you again.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

Dear Ms Green - thank you so much for your feedback - I have passed it on and the staff across gynae, particularly on Branston Ward will be really pleased to read it. I have passed your observations about the bathrooms onto the estates team and asked them to check it out; there are programmes of refurbishment for wards but in the meantime the basics of hooks and shower heads must be sorted! I hope you are continuing to make a good recovery; thank you again.