"I visited your A & E dept ..."

About: Royal Blackburn Hospital

I visited your A & E dept on Sunday 9th March.

I was treated for a neck injury and during my treatment I was taken via a trolley to X-ray. The journey to X-ray meant I had to be wheeled out of A & E into the open air past the ambulance bay and into the main entrance. I was told by the porter that I was lucky that it was fine weather and not raining, or else I would have got wet through on the trolley.

I must say that in view of the fact that you have spent Millions of pounds on this new hospital, you have failed to spot such an important problem. Why should staff and patients alike have to be taken into the open air to get to the main building.

Someone who is having to be wheeled on a trolley or wheelchair, for whatever reason, should not have to face the blowing gales or sweeping rain to be receive further treatment.

Has anyone from your senior management team followed the process from start to finish to see what type of service you are delivering.

Response from Royal Blackburn Hospital

The management within the UCC & ED along with the trust management are aware of the issues that you have raised, and we are currently discussing ways to resolve this problem with the builders and building management company