"The only problem"

About: Royal Berkshire Hospital

There is one major problem which needs addressing. That lies with the pharmacy. I have been admitted on two occasions and have visited West Ward many times since 2009. On each occasion the major delay has been with the supply of the medication needed for my treatment. In some cases I was taking up a bed quite unnecessarily had the medication been supplied promptly. I feel sympathy for the staff having to deal with harrassed patients fed up with waiting.

Response from Royal Berkshire Hospital

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your positive feedback about our Haematology services. We appreciate constructive feedback and strive to incorporate that feedback into our services with a view to making the patient experience better. We are sorry you experienced a delay in being discharged from the ward. The process of obtaining medication is perhaps more complex than most would realise and primarily depends on a prescription being written in good time. Sometimes, this is not as quick as we would like and so pharmacy do not receive prescriptions until relatively late in the day. Our pharmacy uses barcode reading to track everything they do and this allows them to keep on top of work as it comes in. The recent introduction of Automated Dispensing Systems has further sped up the dispensing process. Members of our Patient Panel independently review Pharmacy productivity. Please be reassured that our pharmacy has very efficient dispensing processes but sometimes factors outside their control delays the start of the dispensing process.