"I feel the staff should've done more to diagnose my cancer"

About: Rotherham Hospital / Gastroenterology

I visited Rotherham District General three times with stomach problems. The first two times I went away without a diagnoses or proper tests. The third time, I was informed that I had cancer and I needed urgent treatment.

There were no beds in the hospital, so I was moved to Doncaster Royal Infirmary. I got a bed here, and my experience was very good.

I feel that the staff at Rotherham could’ve done something more, especially with the high profile of possible prostate cancer which is in the news at the moments. At the age I am (80 years-old) and my symptoms, I feel I should’ve at least had a scan on my first visit. In my first two visits I was simply poked and prodded and given penicillin.

Response from Kerry Hollingworth, Corporate Affairs Officer, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Jester289, thank you for your posting on Patient Opinion, we really appreciate patient feedback and are sorry that this was your experience of care at The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust. We would like to look into this further for you and would be very grateful if you would contact our Patient Experience Team on telephone 01709 424461 or at complaints@rothgen.nhs.uk who will be pleased to assist you.

With best wishes,