"Unnecessary suffering "

About: Doncaster Royal Infirmary / Gastroenterology

I was admitted to DRI with painful GI and PR bleeding in May of 2013. I was put on SAU until tests were carried out to determine causes. This has been going on now with this department for over 3 years and I was discharged by the doctor some 24 months ago saying there was nothing wrong with me, but one of her registrars suspected Ulcerative Colitis but this was dismissed.

Now some 3 years later I am having a flare up and it has been clarified by a different doctor that it is in fact UC. I could've been getting treated for this for 3 years, but for the misdiagnosis of the first doctor I am now having problems with another flare up. As my own GP will not issue medication for the UC because the discharge letter doesn't mention it, but mentions Campylobacter infection. I was prescribed Pentasa (Mesalazine) whilst in the DRI but it is practically impossible to get a script for this now until DRI Secretary Faxes it over to my GP.

In the meantime I am left with a bad flare up of UC with no medication. The only way to get anything done at DRI is to go private and pay, it's pathetic.

Response from Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We're really sorry to hear this. It sounds like you have had a very difficult time and we are keen to resolve the issues you've experienced and ensure you are receiving satisfactory care.

If you contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01302 553140 or pals.dbh@dbh.nhs.uk we will do all we can to address this for you. The office is staffed 8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday and there is an answerphone available at other times.

We hope we will be able to resolve this for you to your satisfaction.