"Nottinghamshire Healthcare Annual General Meeting 2013 - Listening to Carers!"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient)

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

Patient Experience and Integration was very much in evidence at this packed event on 26th July at East Midlands Conference Centre including staff, public members of the Trust and our partner organisations. The Involvement Team along with great support from Patient Opinion were keen to ask people to give opinions on the spot about our services and how we can improve what we do by listening to people.

Here's what someone at the meeting said about their experience as a carer:

' They asked questions but didn't really speak to me as a carer of my grandson in Adult Mental Health Services, however, on a positive they did sort out my Grandsons medication. I would like staff to listen more to what carers say and they need to pay as much attention to physical as well as Mental Healthcare. '

Response from Amy Gaskin-Williams, Service User and Carer Involvement and Experience Manager, Involvement Team, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Great that we were able to capture feedback from visitors at this year's AGM, thanks to everyone who stopped to talk to Jane, Jo or Ben (from Patient Opinion).

We would hope that every carer is listened to by our staff and that their views and perspective are appreciated - and better still, used to inform how our staff then provide support. I'm really sorry that in this case that didn't happen, and I'm disappointed that this carer felt like the staff weren't interested in what they had to say.

We have very recently launched the new Carers strategy which is signed off at board level - there were copies at the AGM, I hope we were able to share one with this carer. This should ensure that the insight of carers is recognised, and that we work in partnership with carers and families as much as we can (and as much as the person receiving support wants us to).

We know that writing a strategy doesn't solve everything, and maybe we do still have work to do in terms of how we support and work together with carers, but we hope it goes some way towards making things better and we are very much committed to it.

Thanks to this carer for sharing their feedback,

Amy

Response from Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust We have made a change

The Carers Strategy is now being implemented with staff, carers, families and friends actively working together to ensure the aims of the strategy are delivered. A copy of the strategy can be found by following the link http://www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/information/carers-families-and-friends/

The changes that have been made to date include better information sharing, training for staff in carer issues and a carer guidebook for Mental Health services