About: Stepping Hill Hospital

As a senior health professional I was very disturbed by the enviroment and the nursing care my elderly mother had been subjected to at this hospital - she was admitted with a ? CVA 24/7/13 , had a CT scan but to my knowledge was not given any thrombus treatment other than aspirin - identified as a falls risk by nursing staff, given cot sides on her bed but was then expected to mobilise to and from the toliet without any walking aids ! 5 hrs passed late afternoon/evening before repeat neuro-observations were recorded, surely she should of been closely monitored for a 24 hrs period ? I feel this is really poor - on admission cognitive assessment was recorded as 'can't understand' I repeated this coginitive assessment in the evening myself and my mother responded well - the room she was in was drab, depressing, in need of refurbishing, she had no bed head on her bed, the identifing board on her room/bed was not filled in with her name, doctors name or nurses name, I was also very concerned that despite the current heat wave and my mothers frailty she was not given a jug of water or any glass to drink from, she was not on a fluid balance chart, I was told this did not need to be recorded - I am disgusted at what in only a brief period of time I have witnessed and welcome your response

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

I am very sorry to here of your concern in relation to your mothers care and would welcome the opportunity to investigate further. Please could you contact us by either writing to the Patient & Customer Services Department, Poplar Suite, Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport, SK2 7JE or telephone 0161 419 5678 or email: pcs@stockport.nhs.uk.

This will ensure there is a full investigation as per normal NHS Complaints procedures.

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

I sincerely apologise that these were not been responded to in a timely manner.

This was due to lack of administrative support at the time which has now been rectified.

I would like to reassure you however that your comments were forwarded to the appropriate teams for them to reflect and learn from your experience so that improvements could be made in the services we offer.

Patient and Customer Services Manager