"Lack of support following my husband's death"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / Older people's healthcare

My husband had alzheimers and was admitted to Norfolk and Norwich at end of February...I was told by consultant in front of my husband that he had only weeks/months to live...now my husband could hear him and that was bad...

Well my husband died a week later on the Liverpool pathway plan...that is not my complaint because it was kind and painfree for him and he was not decline water or food but couldn't take them anyway..

No my complaint was for after he died I called for help just as he was dying and was told by an auxiliary nurse that the sister was too busy to come..Well when she did come he had already died..she made me a coffee said stay as long as you like and walked away...

I sat there with my husbands body for 2 hours and no one came in, no doctors, nurses no one...in the end I had to just walk away and leave him..I found a nurse to ask what was happening and she gave me a bereavement book and walked away...no one came to see me or my dear husband..

That was Wednesday, I was given Friday as a date to see the bereavement officer well that was an eye opener..when I got there it began with follow me wait there that's the document, no 'sorry for your loss', nothing.

We are very sorry to hear your feedback about the lack of consideration given to you after your husband died. We have passed your comment to our Director of Nursing and the Bereavement Office. If you would like to speak to us in more detail, or require any further help, our Patient Advice and Liaison Service can help at: pals@nnuh.nhs.uk