"Pre Assessment Clinic"

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

I was somewhat surprised to find offensive assumptions and inaccuracies in the pre-admission health questionnaire I was asked to complete. I am surprised the numerous clinicians and administrators can not understand the difference in headings between 'Demographic data' and 'Personal Details'. Demographics are the quantifiable statistics of a given population and not the patients name and other personal details. Similarly, the patients occupation is demographic data. Why is there no option to decline ethnicity classification? Transport arrangements assume the patient is cared for by 'relatives' or nobody. Are none of the staff aware that Friends or other unrelated persons may collect a patient? I hope my surgeon has a better grasp of data and language when I have my laparoscopic surgery next month.

Response from Princess Alexandra Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to the Trust about your experience. Please get in touch with us directly and we would be happy to sit down and go through the questionnaire to discuss how we could make it more appropriate and accurate for all of our patients. If you would like to do this, you can contact the Patient Experience Team between Monday and Friday, 9am to 5pm and we will assist.