"During a routine pacemaker check ..."

About: Russells Hall Hospital

During a routine pacemaker check it was noticed that my heart had been going into atrial fibrillation. My pacemaker, which was fitted some 3 years ago by another NHS Trust, was only a single chamber model for bradycardia. I was immediately referred to one the team of cardiologists at Russells Hall and within a very short space of time I underwent further tests which culminated in a dual chamber pacemaker replacement on the 8th May 2008.

The care and compassion shown to me by all members of the team of professionals during my treatment was exemplary. I would add that my post operative care has been first class too.

The discharge procedure really needs looking in to. Why oh why can't patients be discharged from their respective wards? To be shuffled off to the so called 'Discharge Lounge' with dozens of other post-operative patients to sit around in uncomfortable chairs to await medication and prescription items for hours on end is certainly not acceptable. For me it was a disastrous end to an otherwise perfect experience in how a first class hospital should perform. It saddens me to add a negative note to my experiences at Russells Hall

Response from The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comments. We are acknowledging receipt of all feedback dating back to 2006, which was before the Trust began responding to all patient comments posted on the Patient Opinion website.