"no available appointments"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

My last visit to SH it was agreed that I would complete yet another course of steroids (3 months) attend 2 appointments in Manchester for further tests re my condition (collagenous colitis) and then start on another drug to help my on-going condition. I did all this and 5 days after completing course of steroids my problem returns (visiting the toilet to empty my bowels approx. 10 times a day and 4 times during the night) I also have 5 children and a full time job with the local authority. I returned to my GP to see if she can prescribe the medication discussed, she can't? this needs to be done by consultant. GP writes letter to speed up appointment. I rang SH to see when appointment? sorry nothing for at 8 weeks as only 2 clinics and both full up with full waiting list? no money to pay consultant for extra clinic? I do not eat as this makes me rush to the toilet, I have a very demanding job, I am tired and in pain, sorry no appointments in the near future. I was advised to go to A&E if I want to see a consultant (20 miles away) All I want is the medication promised to me 4 months ago, why can't my GP prescribe this? Sorry no appointments you will remain on the waiting list. I don't blame the receptionist, she is just doing her job, I don't know who to blame? I don't understand the system? I have continued to attend work for 4 weeks whilst this condition get worse each day, how much longer can I do this?

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

I am very sorry to hear of you experiences, if you contact Patient and Customer Services department on 0161 419 5678 the team here will try to resolve your difficulties.

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

I sincerely apologise that these were not been responded to in a timely manner.

This was due to lack of administrative support at the time which has now been rectified.

I would like to reassure you however that your comments were forwarded to the appropriate teams for them to reflect and learn from your experience so that improvements could be made in the services we offer.

Patient and Customer Services Manager