"Misdiagnosed insect in ear, told it was just wax"

About: George Eliot Hospital

Arrived at Nuneaton A&E at 1.45am (12/7/13). I was greeted by a very helpful receptionist. But despite having only 5 other people in the waiting room (& 1 emergency who got fast tracked) it took 3 1/2 hours to get seen. All the while I was in great discomfort with what I believed to be an insect burrowing in my ear. I was seen by the doctor who was seemed very friendly. They inspected my ears, but told me there was no insect inside and that it would be 'impossible' for anything to get past the large amount of wax. I was told it was probably the wax moving which I was feeling. A second opinion also confirmed this. Unconvinced I asked for my ear to be syringed to remove the wax incase there was a bug further down. I was told they didn't do that at the hospital and to see the doctors the next morning to get the wax removed but assured there was no insect. Finally 5 days later, being allowed to have my ears syringed after a course of drop, a dead winged insect was extracted. I feel let down by A&E who obviously did not believe me and made me feel slightly ridiculous. I'm disappointed they did not investigate my ear fully by removing the wax to discover the insect behind.

Response from George Eliot Hospital

The Trust apologises for not responding to the review earlier. The issue is currently being looked into following contact from the patient. Christine Longstaff, Head of Patient Partnership.