"A visit to A & E with my 13 year old with sprained..."

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

Following a wait of 2 hours (which I wasn't upset about) we were rudely shown to a triage area where we waited for a further 30 minutes before being sent for an x-ray. I was given a rude look when I explained to the nursing staff that I couldn't push my daughter to the x-ray department because I was carrying items - they also commented that I could use the basket on the back of the chair. They reluctantly pushed my daughter to the x-ray dept. The x-ray technician took the necessary pictures and sent us back to the triage area. The nurse-practitioner came over to us, took a couple of seconds to say; 'there are no breaks, keep the leg elevated and take ibuprofen'. That was it .... no examination, no instruction re: exercise and the need for use of exercises and using the ankle. No crutches (she could not put any weight on the foot) and no instructions re: ankle injuries. No comfort, no empathy, no care. I took her to Deal Minor Injuries the following day where she received the care that she deserved. I will avoid QEQM A&E at all costs and would advise others to do likewise.

Thank you for providing feedback and I am sorry that the care you experienced fell below the standard that we would expect. I will share your feedback with staff and bring to their attention the impact on you and your daughter. I do hope that your daughter is recovering from her injury.