"Crisis"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital

My son (28) was recently admitted after the sudden onset of neurological problems exhibiting as impaired speech and loss of muscle strength. The approach to try to diagnose his problems was, at best, "scatter gun". There appeared a lack of co-ordination and communication between departments. He was discharged after a few days without a diagnosis and is still suffering. He is waiting for an outpatient appointment with Neurology and has been told that he may have to wait up to 17 weeks. Meanwhile, he cannot work and is beginning to suffer from frustration and potentially depression. The support and advice offered by his GP was also woeful. If this is the best our NHS has to offer I feel saddened and ashamed. My son, a previously fit and healthy graduate with a promising career in front of him deserves better - everybody in this country does.

Response from Suzanne Brooker, Head of Patient Experience, Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback.

I was sorry to read about your sons recent experience and your concerns around the lack of coordination and communication between departments.

We take pride in being able to deliver a responsive and caring service to our patients and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further so that we can respond to your specific points I would be grateful if you would contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service{PALS}

who will be happy to assist you.

The Pals Team can be contacted between the hours of 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, by telephone on 01634 825004 or 01634 830000 ex 5793.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

I am very sorry to hear about your son’s recent experience. Unfortunately, without more specific details it is difficult to investigate the problems he has experienced with regard to the lack of co-ordination and communication. However, we would like to look into these matters and improve where we can. We encourage your son to contact us directly with his patient details to enable us to do this. In terms of outpatient appointments in the neurology department, all new patients are seen within 13 weeks. Once again, if your son contacts us directly we can look into this. Anne-Marie Moore Service Manager – Rheumatology, Neurology and Elderly Care Emaill: Anne-Marie.Moore@medway.nhs.uk Telephone: 01634 830000 x6728