"I had to take responsibility for achieving happiness"

About: Inclusion Matters Sefton

Mild anxiety and depression as I had approached 60 having accepted early retirement but had not worked since February 2010.

I went to my GP because I had become so angry with my wife I had forgotten what she had said that set me off.

She said she was experiencing emotional abuse from me and that made me refer myself to my GP. I had received some counseling last year from Inclusion Matters about an experience in a boarding school that I had not dealt with as fully as I thought.

This time it was more about why I was so angry. I found why love matters. But I found that I had to have assertive conversations between the sessions to continue to make progress. I had to take responsibility for achieving the happiness that I knew was reachable but I had to learn more and more about why I react the way I do.

My mother had post natal depression that seemed to turn in to bi polar disorder. My dad attempted suicide when I was 22 ish.

I have spent most of my life trying to understand why bad things happen to good people. Counseling has helped me a great deal.

Response from Elizabeth Forrest, CBT Therapist, Inclusion Matters

Dear Mantra195,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and sharing your story with others. I am pleased to read that counselling helped you during this difficult time. I will pass your feedback on to my colleagues.

I wish you all the best for the future,

Elizabeth