"outpatient appointment"

About: Huddersfield Royal Infirmary

I had an outpatient appointment on Friday 14th June 2013 at 4.10 p.m. - I arrived at approx. 4 p.m. and went to corridor 4 on the ground floor, spoke with a member of staff on corridor 4, told her I had an appointment to see a doctor - urogoly department. I showed her my appointment card and she told me to sit in one of the seats in the waiting area. I waited and waited until approx. 5.50 p.m. then had to leave due to having other commitments (I am a carer for my elderly mother who has had a severe stroke and needs assistance with all aspects of her care). No-one explained that there was going to be a long wait or posted any comments on the white board on the corridor giving details that there was a long wait. I could not find any member of staff around to advise that I had to leave. Keeping patients updated about any delays etc. is very important, it helps relieve any stress and also gives patients a chance to discuss why they have to leave and are not able to wait any longer.

Response from Huddersfield Royal Infirmary

We are saddened to hear of your disappointing experience of our services and sorry to hear that you were unable to attend your appointment. As we are sure you will appreciate, it is not always possible to adhere precisely to times due to the individual needs of patients, but the delay you report is unacceple and you should indeed have been kept informed of the situation, and we apologise for this. Hopefully, you have now got a further appointment, but if not, please contact the number on your appointment letter to rearrange.