"Great care but wish I could have stayed longer"

About: Princess Anne Hospital

I was transferred to Princess Anne following an emergency laparotomy for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. My only comparable UK hospital stay prior to this one, was at a different hospital, following the birth of my son by Caesarean section - there, I had been cramped into a small room with 4 other new mothers and their babies - but here I was given a room to myself, with an ensuite, which felt like absolute luxury. During my stay I encountered some of the most caring, compassionate medical staff you could wish to meet - individuals that provided the warmth of care along with the medical attention, and my gratitude remains with them forever. As I had been up and moving fairly quickly after my Caesarean and also felt emotionally stable afterwards too, I initially assumed that my recovery after this operation would be similar but I was taken aback how much more physically painful it was along with an emotional hurricane that seemed to appear out of nowhere and left me sobbing and distressed. While I was in this state, a consultant came to tell me that I would be sent home today and that medically there would not be anything else to expect in terms of after-care. I do not mean to criticise the unit specifically as I am sure that the duration of my stay is standard throughout the country and would have been the same elsewhere but the fact is, I was not ready to leave the hospital. I think the assumption is that patients want to go home but with my husband at work, a near two year old child to look after and no family nearby, going back home in this physically and mentally frail state, was not conducive to my recovery. As I said previously, I do not mean this as a criticism of the unit but a more general point - if I had been given the option, I would have been very happy to pay to stay for a couple of additional nights to get a chance to feel stronger. Since returning home, I've had breakdowns, panic attacks and still feel very weak - I can't obviously say that this would not have happened if I had stayed on in hospital but I do think I it would have made a difference if I'd left when both consultant and I felt that I was ready to, not just the consultant alone.

Response from Princess Anne Hospital

Thank you for your honest thoughts. Unfortunately due to the demands on beds we discharge as soon as the patient is deemed medically fit by the medical team. I am sorry that this did not suit you personally. I hope your recovery is going well.