"Wrong Medication from the doctor"

About: Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG

(as a relative),

My Dad was given the wrong medication by a doctor.

He had a bladder infection so naturally he visited the doctors and was prescribed some tablets, after about five days of taking them he knew something wasn't right; blood was coming out of his nose, he was feeling faint and as he tried to get to sleep he had some hallucinations his entire bedroom was warping around him.

After the hallucination, he stopped taking them and then went to visit a friend who is a specialist nurse in the prostate, bladder etc section in the hospital. She was horrified with what my Dad had been prescribed. She then told him that the pills he had been given were for aged 70+ men (my Dad is 50) who are incontinent and cannot make it to the bathroom.

He would have been hospitalized almost certainly if he had continued taking the pills for he entire course. As surely if you have a bladder infection you need to keep the system going to get rid of the infection, if you give someone with a bladder infection a tablet that stops the person from going then the infection will only get worse and could infect the prostate.

The service my family has received from Doctors in general is poor and I am astounded that such an error has been made.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story