"A&E minors"

About: Broomfield Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

Arrived at A&E reception around 23: 00 on with an 18 months old child with a head injury. Booked in and was there was a 2. 1/2 hour wait to see a doctor. Was advised that a nurse would assess the baby and it would decided whether we should see a doctor. Was still sitting in A&E Minors at 01: 00am without any assessment, Went to find a nurse/doctor to ask why we were waiting for so long without having any sort of assessment for a baby with a head injury and was told that they would find out where I was in the queue and gave me a leaflet on head injuries to read while I was waiting.

When I got to A&E minors there was two children waiting to be seen. One child about was called in at 12. 45am leaving myself and another couple with a child and another parent came in with a baby.

The nurse/doctor then told me that there was 2 people in front of me. When I spoke to the mother with the other toddler she told me she was assessed at 23: 00hrs by a nurse and was called in by the doctor when she finished talking to me.

I had to leave the hospital without any assessment by a nurse or seeing any doctor and arrived home at 02: 00am. Luckily there has been no reaction from my 18 month old but I feel this treatment is disgusting.

When I left the hospital, A&E majors (which was busy when I arrived) only had 4 people waiting to be seen. Is this common for the Majors to be emptied before assessing babies?

Response from Jonathan Wright, Patient Experience & Voluntary Services Manager, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust

Thank you for your feedback I am very concerned to hear of the experience you had in our A&E Department. I would be grateful if you could contact me at 01245 514577 or jonathan.wright@meht.nhs.uk

I shall be meeting with our Lead Nurse for A&E today for feedback on the points you have raised.