"Cardiology: Consultant’s bedside manner on one occasion was aggressive"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / Respiratory medicine

I initially phoned the Ambley Green nurse – these nurses have always been very reassuring and have given me a lot of security for example when I rang a respiratory nurse she was at my house within 20 minutes. She could see I was struggling to breathe and offered to call an ambulance but I opted to ask my son to take me in.

At the hospital I was given a bed straightaway on the Respiratory ward but was transferred to the Cardiology ward. While I was there I had a bad breathing episode, the nurse spent two hours helping me to get my breathing back under control.

I cannot fault the treatment they gave me.

However, the consultant’s bedside manner on one occasion was aggressive and did not talk to me, the patient, but to the other people around me.

Response from Suzanne Brooker, Head of Patient Experience, Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback.

I was very pleased to read that the nurse spent valuable time with you to re-establish control of your breathing and make you comfortable once you had arrived at the hospital.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you found the Consultants bedside manner, on one occasion to be aggressive and did not talk to you, the patient, but to the other people around you.

This is not the behaviour I would expect from any of our staff particularly when we have launched a new initiative called Our Behaviours, a set of values which set out clearly the expectations of staff behaviour.

Taking responsibility and respecting others was not adhered to here, and for that I again apologise.

If you would like to discuss this further then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Suzanne Brooker