"Oncology Department: I was in agony"

About: The Princess Royal Hospital (Telford)

My appointment was at the Princess Royal Hospital in the oncology department in January 2013. I went for the results of a scan taken the previous week - following a mastectomy a year previously.

The member of staff I saw examined my scar and then reached my arm up and back. I felt the strain but the pain didn't start until the next day. By the second day I was in agony. I was put on strong pain killers and patches.

The pain started to subside gradually after 6 or 7 weeks, but stil have "pins and needles" down the arm and hand.

I started physiotherapy at the end of April, I was told the pins and needles could last 12 months.

The exercising I am doing now have helped.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

I am very sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced and hope that the physiotherapy is continuing to have a positive effect. If you would like to discuss this further please do contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). The PALS office is located near the main entrance at the Princess Royal Hospital. It is normally open Mon-Thu 9am-5pm and Fri 9am-4.30pm. You can also contact them by telephone on 01952 282888, and there is an answerphone to take messages outside opening hours. Please note that PALS staff may be busy with other patients or relatives when you call, so please accept our apologies if they are not available immediately to take your call. More information about PALS is available from our website at http://www.sath.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/pals