"phlebotomy service hygiene"

About: Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust / Phlebotomy

Poor standards of ANTT and hanwashing: the phlebotomist did not perform any standard of skin preparation prior to insertion of the needle into my vein, and after taking my blood, sent for the next patient without washing her hands. She was not wearing gloves. There was a sink with a hand washing instruction chart directly behind her work station. There was not a bottle of alcohol hand gel on her work station.

Response from Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Many thanks for your posting. I am sorry to hear that you had such a distressing experience and that you had significant concerns around the standards of hygene at the phlebotomy clinic. So we can take the appropriate action to improve this, please could you contact me at steven.edwards@lancashirecare.nhs.uk.

Steven Edwards

Service Experience Manager

Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust

Response from Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Many thanks for the opportunity to discuss your feedback about the clinic. The points you raise have been passed to the manager for that team. Talking with you about this has been really positive as it has given me an opportunity to review the guidelines, procedures and training followed by the Phlebotomy Service.

Amanda Housley