"My stay December 14th 2012 to January 9th 2013"

About: Papworth Hospital Peterborough City Hospital

I was admitted to A&E with breathing problems on the 14th Dec 2012, spent several hours in resuscitation and was taken care of very well. I was then transferred to ward 12B. After repeatedly trying to tell nurses and doctors on the ward I was feeling very unwell and my breathing was getting worse I collapsed with Respiratory Failure and was transferred to ICU where they fought to save my life and stabilize me. ICU unfortunately broke my nose and the skin when trying to put a face mask on and left my nose scared and extremely sore for several months. I also contracted a skin infection to my Right Leg after a doctor replaced an arterial lead.The area was not cleaned before he attempted to replace this lead. I spent 7 days in ICU then was transferred back to the ward. I was so weak but left to feed myself, wash my self and on one occasion had to ask a friend to help me change my pajamas and to help me wash as I had messed myself, despite me telling the nurses I needed the commode and then the fact that I had actually messed myself, no one was about to help me help, there just wasn't the staff to help. While on the ward I witnessed some elderly and disabled patients struggle with feeding and washing. On one occasion I witnessed an elderly gentleman (Alzheimer sufferer) become frustrated. During the night he wandered and was abusive to other patients and staff. He woke me from my sleep by smashing me over the head with his walking stick. If it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a ventilator mask he could have done serious damage, the night staff thought this was funny! My stay at Peterborough City Hospital was a nightmare, if it wasn't for just a few of the kind and helpful nurses that were on the ward at various times of the day and the fact I was so ill I would have signed myself out of that hospital shortly after coming out of ICU. I was transferred to Papworth Hospital on the 9th of January for a short stay and further investigations. They are a far more caring hospital in every way, the staff are certainly more caring and around when you need them. Peterborough City Hospital is a disgrace to the National Health Service.

Response from Papworth Hospital, Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

We were very pleased to read about your positive experience at Papworth Hospital. Thank you for taking the time to send these comments, which makes a real difference to our staff.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Firstly I would like to apologise for the distress that you have experienced following your recent stay at Peterborough City Hospital. I am very concerned about the issues you have raised and I am very keen to investigate these points to ensure lessons are learnt and care is improved for future patients.

With this in mind I would be really grateful if you were able to contact me by email (lesley.crosby@pbh-tr.nhs.uk) so I can obtain some more details from you which will then allow us to undertake a full review of the care given to you during your stay.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for problems that you experienced and be assured we are keen to improve the care future patients receive.