"Day surgery"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital

I attended day surgery last week after 3 changed appointments. I was asked to arrive at 7 am I then waited a further 9 hrs until I was taken for my operation! The staff were lovely and my surgeon has done a wonderful job. I just think being made to wsit 9hrs was appauling. I was given no time scale and left alone in a waiting room for 6hrs. I became very upset and even more anxious. Surely there is a better system? I was in tears by the time the theatre care assistant came for me. I was asked not to eat or drink from 10.30 the night before, a total of almost 20 hrs!!! No wonder my blood pressure was low. I felt horrendous and could not wait to get out of there! I finally left without a drink or any member of staff checking to see if I had passed urine or not. Staff were lovely but the whole day unit is a joke.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

Thank you for this feedback. It is unusual for patients to wait 9 hours on the Day Surgery ward; we appreciate that this must have been very stressful and apologise for the anxiety caused. Patients are currently asked to attend at 7am to allow for all pre surgery and anaesthetic safety checks to be undertaken. This arrangement also means that if a patient is unable to attend for any reason, then the theatre slot can be utilised and is not lost. We do understand that this is not always convenient for patients, however, and we are looking at the feasibility of staggering arival times. We are clearly unable to comment on the specifics of this case, but would be pleased to investigate if the patient would like to contact us directly. The email address is pals@midyorks.nhs.uk. In the meantime, we are pleased that a positive outcome was achieved.