"Procedure OK but I am waiting for results"

About: Rotherham Hospital / Dermatology

I was referred to the Dermatology Department at Rotherham District General Hospital by my GP to investigate a small lump on my left ear lope. I was seen within 2 weeks.

The consultant advised the lump to be removed for investigation and the procedure was carried out about a week later.

I am still awaiting the results which I am told takes 3 to 4 weeks.

The consultation and procedure were OK and I was kept informed.

I have limited mobility and the nursing staff were very helpful assisting me on and off the treatment table.

The stitches were removed about 10 days later at my GP surgery.

One area I think should be improved is the waiting time for results. 3 to 4 weeks seems a rather long wait!

Response from Kerry Hollingworth, Corporate Affairs Officer, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Outdoors305,

Thank you for taking the time to place your posting and I am pleased that your overall experience in our Dermatology department was a positive one. We have enquired as to why there is a 3-4 week delay in forwarding results to patients, which does as you point out, seem rather a long wait.

Unfortunately it takes 2 weeks for the histology of the tissue to be undertaken and for the results to be returned from the laboratory to the department. On receipt, patient’s whose results are concerning and who require further urgent treatment are contacted as a priority by telephone. For those patients whose results are essentially normal and where no further treatment is required a letter is sent to them. Letters are dictated and typed as quickly as possible, but given that priority is given to those patients requiring further treatment, staff air on the side of caution and inform patients that this can take 3 -4 weeks as a maximum.

Kind regards,