"Outwood childrens hospital"

About: East Surrey Hospital

To whom it may concern, My son Archie was in hospital on the 17th May as an outpatient in Outwood children’s ward and was in hospital from 7am until 4pm. I wanted to bring to your attention what a difference a member of your staff made to our stay. She was the children’s play worker. This person was absolutely fantastic, she went out of her way to accommodate Archie (bringing him over a TV and Play station) and distract him from feeling poorly (bringing him toys to his bed, getting out art and craft stuff in the play room and reassuring him about his operation). She was upbeat, pleasant and a real pleasure to be around. There is no question that she made Archie’s time in hospital as pleasant as it could possibly be and I really wanted to write to you to inform you what a fantastic and committed member of staff you have. This member of staff, without a doubt, is an asset to the children’s ward and I would like to thank her for everything she did. People like this play such a special & important part in a child’s visit to hospital, in making it as memorable and fun as it can be. Archie's mum

Dear Steph 3

Thank you for taking the time to comment so favourably on your son Archie's recent stay on Outwood ward. I have passed your comments to Joanne Farrell who is our Matron for Children's services so that she can pass on your thanks directly to the play worker concerned.

As you say play is a crucial part in looking after the children on Outwood Ward and we're very lucky to have such dedicated staff who understand how important it is to look after all aspects of a patients care.

Regards

Ian

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Archie's Mum, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on yours and Archie's experience of East Surrey Hospital. We agree that our play workers do a fantastic job and will certainly pass on your commets to the team. We hope Archie is feeling better now.