"Total hip replacement"

About: Yeovil District Hospital

Twelve days after a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon I had surgery. At the consultation MRI scans taken previously showed I needed a THR. The operation was carried out on a Saturday morning. After-care in the ward was fine, although nursing staff were overworked on their 12 hour shifts. After four days I was discharged and the instructions given to me by occupational therapy staff were good.

After three weeks at home I returned to the physiotherapy department at the hospital. The physiotherapist was very clear and helpful. At my request I saw her again three weeks later, because I was unsure about my progress and the information given in the very general NHS booklet.

This aftercare I felt was the weakness of the system. It is now seven weeks after my operation. I am doing fine and have determination, but I really do feel that more back-up after this major orthopaedic operation is required.

Response from Yeovil District Hospital

We were very sorry to read your comments. If you would like to discuss your concerns with our complaints manager please do not hesitate to contact her on 01935 385216.