"Explanation of birth complications"

About: Birmingham Women's Hospital / Maternity care

In November 2012 I went into labour, I arrived at 2am to be 3cm dilated was given gas and air and was put on a ctg monitor, from there on they kept telling my birth partner that baby's heart rate was dropping but they weren't worried.

From this everything was a blur they kept telling my birth partner everything that was happening but not explaining anything to me! ! When I asked what was wrong I was just told everything was fine even though I knew it wasn't! ! My legs were put in stirrups and next thing I knew the dr came in and cut me to allow them to put forceps in.

Our baby was thankfully ok and nows a very happy healthy 6 month old but even after the birth I was never told what the complications were during labour and what complications I had in the first few days after having my baby! !

I felt very let down by the hospital. All I wanted was to be told what we both went through!

Response from Maria McLeod, Birmingham Women's NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback. Just to let you know that your comments have been forwarded to the Maternity Unit so that they can provide a response.

If you would like to speak to someone at the hospital, you can contact the Patient Advice and Information Centre through switchboard on 0121 472 1377. Alternatively you can contact the Complaints Department through switchboard and they will be able to look into your concerns.

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience and we are keen to ensure that you are given the answers to your questions.

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.