"Not even basic common courtesy at Ward 31"

About: Darlington Memorial Hospital

Ward 31 - clinical decision unit. This is where you arrive to be assessed if referred by your GP. Or in my case and the several other people that evening, it's the room where you sit and be ignored for hours. Not even a single acknowledgement of our existence was made by staff who came and went. No smile or hello, no advice on what happens next, no names were taken, no sign at all that anyone would ever be looked at. We were commodities, not people, and as such we didn't merit politeness.

I'm sure the staff are wonderful clinicians, but as human beings they lack the basic elements of common courtesy and are not people I would ever want to see again. A really de-humanising experience and I feel very sorry for anyone who is unlucky enough to be an inpatient.

Response from Darlington Memorial Hospital

Thank you for providing feedback on your visit to the Clinical Decisions Unit on Ward 31 at Darlington Memorial Hospital in May 2013.

I am saddened to read that you were unhappy with your experience on this occasion

We would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Experience Team on 0800 7835774. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is patient.experience@cddft.nhs.uk

Alternatively, you can write to us at the following address: -

Patient Experience Team

Darlington Memorial Hospital

Hollyhurst Road

County Durham

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

Patient Experience Team