"Feedback from service user forum: the 5 things we think the Healthy Living Service does really well."

About: Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Healthy living service

(as a volunteer/advocate),

We met as a group of current and previous service users of the Healthy Living Service on 24th April. We met to share our feedback about the service, to discuss what we feel the service does really well and how we think the service could better support people.

Below are the 5 things we think the Healthy Living Service does really well:

1. "The people/the staff"

It really feels like they care about you, that you're not just a number to them. They are compassionate, and they work hard to find out what you want to achieve and what your main issues are.

"I can't fault them at all. I think they're wonderful people who think of their work as far more than a job. I particularly want to thank Vince and Patrick, who showed me such respect. They are real professionals. "

2. "The staff speak a lot of sense"

We feel the staff give great advice, which is moulded to suit your lifestyle and your individuals problems. They don't just have one set of answers, they get to know you and make really sensible suggestions.

3. "They provided local support, which I could easily access"

Being able to attend an exercise group near home really helped, it gave me more confidence and made it easier for me to attend. I felt at ease, because I could exercise as part of a group who had similar issues, rather than feeling isolated amongst people when I go to a normal gym.

4. "I provided 1% of positivity, the other 99% came from the staff"

We feel that the staff work really hard to inspire you, to encourage you and to be positive about you reaching your goals. They are tireless in the way they keep you going, and are always there to encourage you.

5. "They're flexible, they were willing to come out to my home"

Members of the group felt that the team's flexibility was really valued - we are impressed that the staff will travel to your home to talk to you and help. For some of us, this is really important, especially if it's difficult for us to travel far.

There was a lot of positive feedback about the HLS team, particularly about how good the staff are and how personal the service is because of that.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Responses

Response from Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Firstly many thanks to Amy and our support manager Jane for organising and coordinating the group. Also huge thanks to all the people who took the time to attend the group and share their valuable feedback.

It is wonderful to notice that the staff and the relationship they build with our service users are mentioned in the majority of the points listed in this post. We work hard to support our service users to make positive lifestyle changes that are relevant to them and encourage people to access healthy lifestyle opportunities in their local area.

It is also important to us that we are able to include people who find it more challenging to travel so we often see service users at different trust sites or community venues, however due to capacity issues we are unable to visit individuals in their own homes as a general rule.

I will certainly make sure that the whole of the team are aware of the feedback. We're also going to display all the stories posted where people accessing the service can see them!

Once again, thank you to everyone who generously gave their time, shared their story and offered us such thoughtful feedback.

Best wishes,

Sue Davis

Healthy Living Team Clinical Lead

Updates, changes and questions related to this story