"Last minute Surgery Cancellation"

About: Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / Trauma and orthopaedics

I had waited for some foot surgery for several months and was on the ward ready for the surgery when I got a visit from the anaesthetist. He was concerned about some abnormalities on the ECG. This was obviously a real shock to me because this was the first time anyone had said anything to me and the ECG had been done some monthst before. Also this meant that I could not have the surgery which was a big disappointment.

The anaesthetist was sympathetic and explained that he was going to write to the Cardiologist, and that they would call me in to discuss this. However it was still a shock and I am now left wondering if I will get my surgery and when I will see the cardiologist. None of this was discussed at the assessment pre op which I did not really understand.

So I am left feeling really worried and probably having to wait again for surgery. Surely this could have been handled differently I did speak to my GP who was kind and said she would contact the hospital to find out what has happened.

Response from Patient Engagement & Experience Administrator, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I am very sorry that you have been left feeling concerned and worried. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you could please contact the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402363 or 403915.