"Mixed bag of emotions"

About: Liverpool Womens Hospital

I recently had a hysterectomy during April 2013. There were some good points, and unfortunately some bad points.

Firstly, I have to say the doctor did a wonderful job in reassuring me and putting me at easy, as understandably I was very anxious. I must also mention two wonderful nurses on the ward, who offered an outstanding level of care. They were on Ward 2 in the day.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for some of the night staff. Rude would be an understatement. I was interrupting their 'gossip time' as I heard all night long, the joys of one girls love life.

I did see one of the night doctors who was also very nice, and was able to prescribe me adequate pain relief, something I'm not sure i would have got relying on the night nurses

The night staff did unfortunately put a downer on the overall care received.

During my two night stay meals where unfortunately unpleasant. There was limited choice, food was often warm not hot and had it not been for relatives bringing in food, I would have gone hungry. The tap water on offer too was nasty - although this was often replenished along with hot drinks.

One of the annoyances for me was the night light above my bed was not working. This was not resolved until the day I was finally released - nearly 2 days after I had reported this to the nurses.

Response from Anne Bridson, Corporate Matron for Patient Experience, Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for feedback, I am sorry to read of the concerns you have raised especially over staff attitude, this is totally unacceptable and I apologise for that.

I was also disappointed to read your comments over the food as the Trust has really worked hard to try and get it to a standard for all patients.

Also your night lamp being out for your stay is also unacceptable.

On behalf of the Trust I do sincerely apologise for all this. I would be really interested to get further details so if you want to contact me, I would be appreciate that. My email address is anne.bridson@lwh.nhs.uk

With regards

Anne Bridson, Matron for Patient Experience

Response from Liverpool Womens Hospital

Thank you for your feedback both positive and negative. I am sorry to hear that you did not always receive the care that we expect all our patients to receive. Your feedback will be passed onto all relevant staff. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail and if you feel you would want to do this please contact me on my email, anne.bridson@lwh.nhs.uk. With regards Anne