"Absolutely atrocious A & E"

About: The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (King's Lynn)

I attended the Accident & Emergency department upon advice of my GP after suffering heavy blood loss at 11 weeks of pregnancy. I was in pain and uncomfortable and clearly suffering a miscarriage. I was first seen by the Triage nurse after 2 hours of waiting who simply told me she would 'beep' the Ob-Gyn but can't guarantee how long it would take but would let me know when she hears back. I waited a further 3 hours, still bleeding and cramping and did not get told if Ob-Gyn had even been alerted. After a total of 5 hours of waiting, I was taken to the SAU (which had 4 spare beds in it) and told to try and sleep and not worry while I wait to be seen by the Ob-Gyn doctor. This would take hours as she was, and I quote, "delivering actual babies". Insensitivity aside, I asked if I could just wait at home until the following morning when I already had an appointment set with my GP. I was advised I would have to self discharge against medical advice as I shouldn't really leave whilst still bleeding. This, after FIVE hours of being ignored while bleeding. It might not matter to these people but this is my life! I understand the demands upon the staff at hospitals these days and under-funding but this was my first experience at this hospital since moving from London and I was disgusted. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one to have had such experiences from hearing from others in the area. I would recommend going further afield in the future.

Response from Val Newton, Deputy Director of Nursing, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Kings Lynn NHS Foundation Trust

I was very concerned to hear of your experiences in A&E and SAU and would like to discuss this with you if you would be willing to speak with me, I can be contacted on 01553 613613 ext / bleep 3582

Valerie Newton - Deputy Director of Nursing and Patient Experience