"Lack of information about emergency contraception"

About: Adult community health services

I needed emergency contraception but could find no information about how to get this from any website.

The only information I could find about Somerset's sexual health service was under 'children and young people' and I am neither. The website had no information about opening times of any of the services. I needed this in the evening and the website did not say which clinics were open after hours. I rang the telephone number (in the evening) and was told 'all operators are busy' - I was then cut off.

In the end I went to a local Pharmacy at Asda and they were brilliant. They sat me down and I had a proper consultation and was given emergency contraception for no cost. This service was not advertised anywhere, that I could see.

Very poor communication from the NHS though, and if I was young or not so confident I think I would have just given up through frustration and embarrassment.

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Battery 30

The Trust is really sorry that you have experienced some difficulty in accessing contraception from our Trust, in an emergency situation.

I am pleased to inform you that the PALS service is looking into improving the information available on our Trust website, so that in future information will be more easily accessible.

If you would like to discuss this issue in greater detail, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, (PALS), who will be happy to help.

with kind regards

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Battery 30

Thank you for drawing the Trusts attention to the difficulty that you have recently experienced in accessing information on our public web site relating to emergency contraception.

I am now pleased to advise that the site has been revamped and more detailed information is displayed.

We have now added information about what to do/who to contact out of hours or in an emergency and there are the following web links to aid accessing of information relevant to the problem being experienced.

with kind regards