"Birthing centre"

About: University Hospital Of Hartlepool

I gave birth to my second child at the Birthing Centre at the University Hospital of Hartlepool and was both surprised and delighted by the first-class standard of care that I received.

Throughout my time on delivery suite and in the postnatal bay, I found the staff to be very attentive, respectful and friendly - their passion for their job was easy to see. The midwife in charge of my care was so supportive throughout my labour and made the whole experience as stress-free and positive as possible.

My husband was able to stay with me during my entire admission and was also well looked after with meals and offers of hot drinks, even though the ward had a well-stocked patient/family kitchen so he could easily have been left to fend for himself!!

The centre itself and all its rooms were exceptionally clean and the equipment in the delivery rooms was clearly of a high standard. I was very tempted to help myself to one of the rocking chairs in our room - I have never sat in anything so comfortable!!

I would absolutely recommend the birthing centre to anyone expecting a baby. All delivery suites should be like this one so that every mum-to-be can have the fantastic experience that I did. Thank you again to all the staff that helped my husband and I welcome our little girl into the world! :)

Response from University Hospital Of Hartlepool

We thank you for your kind and complimentary comments on the care you received at our maternity unit. We will gladly pass on your praise to the staff and thank you for taking the time to write a comment on NHS Choices. We hope that you are all happy and healthy after the birth of your daughter.