"Upsetting experience of flexible sigmoidoscopy"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / General Surgery

I attended the endoscopy unit at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for investigation of diarrhoea and rectal bleeding.

The procedure itself was unpleasant but not unbearable. My major concern was the care that I received by the nursing staff in the unit. There were at least 4 nurses in the room while I was being 'scoped' - they all stood on the other side of the room from me, and spent the time gossiping about holidays and other non work-related issues.

Whilst I was undergoing the procedure, several people came in and out of the room, and passed through to another room at the back. I felt like I didn't exist!

It was a noisy and disruptive environment. The consultant didn't seem to mind, and was joining in with the nurses' chatter. The only time a nurse actually came over to me was when the procedure became very uncomfortable and I became a little distressed.

Was it really necessary to have all these nurses in the room? They didn't seem to be doing anything. And I really don't think that other staff should be coming in and out of the room while a procedure is ongoing. I thought care was meant to be "patient-centred'?

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate that you have had a less than satisfactory experience and take on board your observations.

We will certainly discuss this with the team involved. We value your comments as an opportunity for improvement.