"At last a diagnosis!"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My daughter has been ill in Derby and visited their A&E dept several times with the same symptoms only to be sent home with little more than an antacid and told she has indigestion. After suffering for at least 5 months, it wasn't until she visited home in Kent and I had to take her to A&E at QEQM that we now have the correct diagnosis - gallstones.

The A&E staff were wonderful. I have the utmost respect for how they treated my daughter, kept us informed and then admitted her quickly after involving a surgical team that visited her in A&E.

The nursing staff on Cheerful Sparrows were excellent but were obviously overstretched, and not helped by the rudeness and petty moaning of some patients. However, they contined to treat everyone with dignity and respect. I applaud the nurses.

Thank you very much for taking the time the provide us with great feedback, I am glad we were able to provide your daughter with a diagnosis. We are very proud of our surgical team at QEQM and especially Cheerful Sparrows ward team, led by a fantastic ward manager, Matron and Senior Matron. I will ensure that staff in A&E and the ward are aware of your feedback.

I hope your daughter continues to improve and enjoys the rest of her stay in Kent.

Response from Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

Thank you for your kind comments and positive feedback on the services that have been provided to your daughter when she attended the hospital at QEQM. Your comments will be fedback to the staff involved at both A&E and Cheerful Sparrows. The Trust recognised the importance of all feedback and that positive feedback is equally as powerful as negative as learning can be taken from it. We hope that your daughter is feeling better.