"Don't use A & E"

About: Milton Keynes Hospital

I was forced to go to A & E as my GP was unable to get support from hospital and my problems indicated that I could have a severe problem. I called 111 who sent and ambulance and the paramedic was amazing, spending 30 mins trying to get me the urgent treatment I needed from another source. Sadly the NHS were not helpful and I ended up at A & E. I was triage d fairly quickly and a nurse administered a treatment that did not work. I was left for 4 hours on soiled sheets before a doctor appeared and said I needed to be referred to a specialist. He did not allow me to ask for pain relief or even explain most of my symptoms. After a further hour and two requests for pain relief, and the other urgent treatment I needed, I had to walk out as I desperately needed treatment I was not getting and knew without it I would be far worse off. I have now been able to bring my pain under control and no doubt will have to return to A & E as an unconscious emergency later today or tomorrow, as the problem has not been treated.

Perhaps they will be better able to deal with this than with a conscious patient able to explain what is needed. It is so sad that the NHS can no longer deal with matters until they are life threatening. All I want is to get the treatment I need (which can only be administered by a hospital) and get back to work.

As a by the way when I arrived at 11 am there was a patient who had been waiting since 2 am for treatment.

Response from Milton Keynes Hospital

Firstly, Milton Keynes Hospital would like to apologise for the length of time it has taken to reply. The Trust is sorry to hear of your experience of the A&E Department and your comments have been passed to the responsible managers for their information and action. If you would like to discuss this further or make a complaint then please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01908 243633 or 01908 243181 or alternatively e-mail patientexperience@mkhospital.nhs.uk or write to the main hospital address. Thank you.