"Long wait for surgery"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I was admitted for a procedure which should have taken place the same day, or first thing the next morning. However, it was repeatedly delayed, and only took place more than 48 hours later. During this time, there was almost no information as to when it would be happening, there appeared to be almost no communication between doctors and nurses.

After the procedure, despite agreeing a time to leave, when I finally left, medicines I should have been given were not available, the pharmacy department appear to be too slow to respond.

I was given no copies of the paperwork that I had to signed. After being discharged, I should have been referred to another hospital for follow-up, but admin staff failed to do this.

I realise that my condition was not life-threatening and those with life-threatening conditions should take priority, but it seemed like there was no procedures in place to treat those with non-life-threatening conditions.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

I am sorry that you have had a difficult time and I can understand your dissatisfaction; yes life threatening situations will take priority in some circumstances but that should not preclude you being kept informed about any reasons for delays and what will be happening and I am sorry this was the case. All our hospitals have been exceptionally busy over recent weeks but the issues you detail in relation to discharge should still have been managed; we do have procedures but they clearly did not happen as they should for you and I am very sorry. I can't work out whether your follow up appointment was sorted out for you in the end; if it wasn't could you contact your consultants secretary through the main hospital switchboard and we will get this arranged; or come back to me at: patient.involvement@ulh.nhs.uk if you have any further problems. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your experience.