"Sick child"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I attended this unit with my son and although seen fairly quickly, he was left on a trolley in the corridor area were the paramedics bring in the other patients. The doctor eventually saw him and said he was off to get some drugs for him. One hour later we were moved out of the room and put back in the corridor. The doctor never returned with the drugs. When he was sick it took a passing paramedic to come to his aid. Doctors and nurses seemed too busy to care and walked by. Eventually I tried to speak to someone, however it seemed impossible and I picked up my son and carried him back to the car in disgust. I appreciate the place was busy, however it is very clear that this facility is not fit for purpose or adequately staffed.

I was very sorry to read your story and I know the staff in A&E will be also. The department can and does understandably get very busy at times and whilst we know where there are typical peaks of activity and ensure staffing is appropriate there will also be some unexpected periods or incidents when staff will be under pressure and all the cubicles are full. We have systems in place for the team to escalate if the department has situations like this and ensure that additional staff are available to support. I am very sorry that your son had to wait for his medication and that you could not get the help and support you needed; please be assured that your story has been shared with the team and that we value your feedback.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital