"Operation cancelled for the fourth time"

About: University Hospital Of North Durham

It is now well over a year since I was diagnosed with gall stones and recommended for surgery to remove my gall bladder.

After six months wait I was offered an operation date which I could not attend because of work commitments. Since then I have been given four more operation dates, each of which have been cancelled with very little notice. This is incredibly inconvenient because I have to make arrangements well in advance and then make apologies and rearrange it.

While my situation is not life threatening, I have suffered discomfort. However, the constant rearranging of the operation has caused extreme inconvenience and I suspect has been mainly done at the whim of the surgeon.

Response from University Hospital Of North Durham

Thank you for providing feedback on the wait you are experiencing to undergo surgery to remove your gall bladder.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Experience Team on 0800 7835774. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is patient.experience@cddft.nhs.uk

Alternatively, you can write to us at the following address: -

Patient Experience Team

Darlington Memorial Hospital

Hollyhurst Road

County Durham

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

Patient Experience Team