"My haemorrhoid operation at Tameside Hospital"
About: Tameside General Hospital / General surgery Tameside General Hospital General surgery OL6 9RW
Posted by gazz75 (as ),
I had this procedure at Tameside General Day Surgery, my appointment time was 12: 00.
* Arrived ten minutes early, was not admitted to ward until 16: 30, I'm aware someone has to be last on the list, but surely I could have been kept informed better.
* Have operation, wake on ward, don't see doctor again to explain how things went.
* Literally last person on ward, cant leave until I eat some toast, have a drink and empty my bladder, no bread for toast, nurse goes off in search.
* Wife arrives to take me home, nurse explains pharmacy is shut so I cant get prescription, will have to come back tomorrow. shouldn't all this have been in place anyway.
* Nurse asks when I'm due back at work, I tell her, she says in no way should I go back to work and that she would arrange a sick note, this is the first mention of needing time off......... I had understood this to be just a minor procedure.
* By Friday of the week of the operation I had become quite disturbed with the amount of blood I was losing and feeling very uncomfortable.....I tried contacting the hospital, but was given a run around being transferred from department to department, eventually I got through to the doctor's secretary only to be told that they were on holiday and their assistant was on leave, she stated that she would try to find someone to call me, no one did.
* Saw my GP on Monday, he assured me that there would be pain and discomfort which would ease as time goes on.
* Four weeks on from the operation, I have seen my GP 3 times and been to A&E once, I still have discomfort ( not a lot of pain now ), but I am still bleeding and have not yet managed to contact the doctor
I feel I have been treated very poorly, and that the after care has been non existent I am really upset with the treatment I have received.