"Numerous calls, letters, cancelled appointments and complaints. "

About: Western General Hospital / General Surgery

I've only just heard of this site. I wish I'd heard of it sooner.

I was originally referred from the ERI in December 2010 with rectal bleeding (general surgery/colorectal). It has taken this long to progress and get something done.

I have had to make numerous calls and have written letters over the last 2 years - actually far too many to describe here, had appointments cancelled or just not made by what I feel have been unhelpful and distant clerical staff.

My last letter of complaint to NHS CE Mr Davidson hasn't been answered yet and this is from December last year (apart from a "we'll be in touch" letter) - 5 months in total.

All-in-all, I feel this is a dismal service from the Western. I can't think of one good thing in all this time.

Response from Stuart Wilson, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, NHS Lothian

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and apologise for the length of time it has taken to respond to your concerns. We have a very robust complaints process and cannot understand why your original complaints would not have been responded to.

Can I encourage you to make your concerns known in full to our Customer Relations and Feedback Team on craft@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk so that we can investigate this fully and come back to you on your concerns?