"Holiday period health care"

About: Tameside and Glossop PCT

I went to my doctor last Thursday suffering from pain in my arm. I was told the surgery was just closing, even though there were still patients in the waiting area. Due to the Easter period the surgery was not open again till the following Tuesday. We are constantly being asked not to attend A & E unless its an emergency yet sometimes our gps fail to provide adequate cover for our needs.

Response from Peter Denton, Healthwatch Manager, Healthwatch Tameside

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and hope that your arm is better. I am surprised that your surgery didn't refer you to the Walk-in centre in Ashton or to an out of hours service/NHS Direct. These would all have been able to give you some advice and if necessary refer you for assessment/treatment.

At Healthwatch we have two roles. One is to develop and provide an information signposting service to help people to choose the right care for them. The other is to gather and analyse patient experiences so we can identify and influence changes in services when they are needed. If you would like to give any more detailed feedback to us, please contact info@healthwatchtameside.co.uk

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.