"Poor communication between Doctors"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I have just spent 3 weeks in the hospital. Initially visiting A&E, I was admitted to the Surgical Admissions Lounge. There I stayed until being diagnosed. The staff on the 'shop floor' i.e the nurses, health care assistants were fantastic. What was bitterly disappointing was the lack of communication between Doctors. I had a team of 'General Doctors' (forgive my terminology) looking after me and they were excellent. Inputs from 2 different specialist Doctors was required, and this is where the problems started. The Specialists would arrange things, change plans to visit me or speak to other departments without informing my 'General Doctors'. The General Doctors would see me each day and update me based on the information, or lack of it, that they had been given. I spent days as an inpatient waiting for a Specialist to appear who had changed plans and was never going to appear. Nobody was informed. My General Doctors requested a 2nd MRI, and after a few days of waiting I chased it up with Radiology only to find that conversations had been going on about the need for the 2nd MRI between Radiology and Neurology. Again nobody on the shop floor was notified. I eventually submitted a verbal complaint, as I was fed up with occupying a bed without anything happening.

Dear Mr. Woodley; I can appreciate you being fed up as I can imagine any of us would feel the same and I would like to offer our sincere apologies. Communication between specialty teams is important and even if there are some debates and discussions needed to enable decisions you should have been included, involved and kept updated so you knew what was happening and I am sorry this was not the case. I have passed your comments onto the teams at Lincoln County as your story clearly illustrates how poor (or lack of) communication can impact not only on a patients care and care decisions but on how this makes you feel as a patient not knowing what is happening. Thank you for leaving your feedback and I am sorry your experience was tarnished by the basic need for good communication.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital