"Disappointed with health care in Stocken as a diabetic"

About: HMP Stocken / Primary care

I came to Stocken Prison in September 2012, I found the treatment from healthcare to be the worst I've ever experienced.

I am a type one diabetic and having trouble controlling my sugar levels as it is my first time in prison.

I went to health care to ask for sugar tablets in case I had a hypo (its better to be low than high as you do less damage when your low) and I was told by one of the nurses that I should be better controlled.

I found that to be very unhelpful, when I am at home I weigh my food so that I know how many carbohydrates I am taking in. I then asked for an alternative and was told I was being subversive and rude and was told to go away. Hows that for treatment?

Response from Suzanne Aitken, Deputy Head of Communications, Communications, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear that you feel so disappointed with the treatment you received in the healthcare department at Stocken. I will ask the Clinical Matron, Graham to respond to you directly as soon as possible.

Suzanne

Response from Graham McCrindle, Clinical Matron, HMP Stocken, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Hello,

I am somewhat perplexed by the comments made.

I can understand that being the first time in prison can be a somewhat overwhelming experience.

I am pleased that you had a discussion about your diabetes and its control.

However, I do fail to see how advice about being better controlled is seen as unhelpful.

Within prisons we are not in a position to allow patients to have scales to weigh food or control their diet to their own specification.

We can offer better dietary information and sugar tablets as you describe them are available to any person suffering type 1 diabetes.

If you are still resident at HMP Stocken please place in an application for review of your medication regime.