"Basic Lack of care"

My father was a patient in this hospital and he was left for over 7.5 hours with a temp of 38.8 and vomiting, without IV fluids or antibiotics despite being ordered them at 8.15am. It was only when I made a fuss at 4.pm that something was done about it. I have no idea how long he would have had to wait before he did get the treatment he was ordered if I had not done so. Also when I used the call bell system, as my fathers drip had finished, no one responded in over 20 minutes. I finally called a ward sister who was simply walking passed, who would have continued to do so if I had not called her, when I asked her why the call bell had not been answered in over 20 minutes, she said that the nurses were busy. I asked her then why she herself could not replace the infusion bag, she looked genuinely shocked as if this was below her position. Do the sisters not work on the floor and assist the staff. I was very disappointed in the level of care that my father received and consequently went in every day to ensure that my father got the treatment and help that he was entitled to. I feel very despondent about the lack of care shown by many levels of staff at this hospital and can only hope that things can get better, but I wonder !

Response from Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your father’s experience whilst being cared for in our hospital. We are very keen to talk to you so that we can establish which ward he was on and understand more about what happened. This will enable us to take action where necessary to improve the experience of other patients. If you would like to discuss this with us in more detail please make contact via our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS). You can contact PALS by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk , via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 4.30pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. Thank you again for taking the trouble to post your comments on the NHS Choices website.