"mri department, unable to get through by phone."

About: East Surrey Hospital / Neurology

I was given an MRI slip early last week when I attended my clinic appointment. It stated urgent on it. I asked for someone to call me asap to arrange an appointment (in order for me to take time off work). However three days later I was still waiting. I decided to call them up. After two solid days of calling I haven't got any further than an answer machine. I tried calling the appointment booking department to be told they didn't deal with MRI appointments. However they put me through to my consultant's secretary, who I felt rudely informed me appointment booking was not in her job role and I should learn to be patient. That's easier said than done when you could potentially have a mass growing in your brain.

I am starting to lose confidence in the NHS and especially East Surrey Hospital.

A week on I still don't have an appointment date and judging by no one answering the phone or returning calls I am in for a long wait. So much for an urgent MRI. Days like this I wish I could afford to go private.

Response from Susan Aitkenhead, Chief Nurse, Executive Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Rubysox12

If you can please forward me your details, I will ensure that the relevant person gets in touch with you to update you on your appointment.

Kind Regards