"Southmead Internal Bus I am a ..."

About: Southmead Hospital

Southmead Internal Bus

I am a regular visitor to Southmead Hospital as a carer for my father who suffers from Lung Cancer. We have always used the Internal bus as a means to get to the location within the hospital, as it would be impossible for my father to walk the long distances between car parks and departments.

Last time we visited, the reception very kindly called the bus for us, which took us to the department we required. However, on the return journey, the receptionist said she wasn't even aware there was an internal bus and was quite surprised when she managed to contact it via a mobile phone number.

Until recently the Internal Bus was very clearly marked and members of the public knew it was available. However, i have now noticed it is marked Bristol NHS Trust, and not publisized at all.

I feel that this is deliberate ploy by the Trust who would like to stop this service and save the small amount thtat it costs.

This would be a great loss to alot of elderly and infirm people.

I suppose the Trust will say that they have reviewed it and no one uses the bus, but how can they expect them to when they don't even know it exsists.

Response from Southmead Hospital

The North Bristol NHS Trust courtesy bus at Southmead Hospital is on site from 10am until 3.30pm every day to transport patients and visitors around the site, especially from the car parks to the main hospital buildings. It is fully accessible to wheelchair users and the driver can be contacted by calling 07990 795241.

In addition, North Bristol NHS Trust has a bus that runs between Frenchay, Southmead and Blackberry Hill hospitals that runs throughout the day from 7am until after 8pm. Patients and their families are welcome to use this.