"Good links between Western and ERI"

About: Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France / Trauma & orthopaedics Western General Hospital (Edinburgh)

I went to Western General/ Minor Injuries, Edinburgh with part of a sewing machine needle deeply imbedded in my finger. While unable to remove it, as the clinic is operated by Nurse Practitioners, who would not cut my skin to access it, I was speedily triaged, x-rayed and referred on to ERI's A&E.

I anticipated a long wait there, but all my info was already in the system and within 20 mins, I was being attended to by a skilled team, who managed, with minimal cutting, to find and remove the needle.

I was impressed with the way the hospitals linked, so there was no repetition, and no long wait.

The longest part of my experience was the travel between the two hospitals.

Response from Stuart Wilson, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, NHS Lothian

We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident but pleased to hear your experience with NHS Lothian was a positive one.

The needs of patients are at the very top of our priorities and we always try to ensure the process is as smooth as possible, especially if you have to transfer to another hospital.

May I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that your experience hasn’t put you off your sewing.